Monday, June 22, 2009

Pioneer Trek

This past week I participated in a church activity known as a Pioneer Trek. It is where we gather the youth, dress in pioneer clothes, and pull handcarts on the Wyoming prairie. It gives our youth (and those adults who go along) a chance to get in touch with the early members of our church and some of the things they went through.

It was great! I had a lot of fun.

Here is a picture of me with my Pioneer gear on complete with a mid-nineteenth century beard (yes, it is real and yes it is natural).



We take the youth and divide them into families. Each family has a Ma and a Pa and 6-7 children. My wife and I were a Ma and Pa (I was a Pa...).



The family was issued a handcart and we pulled it on trails with our belongings in it. Our job was to help the kids get the most out of the whole experience and make sure they were where they needed to be.



My wife and I enjoy working with the youth. I don't know if it makes me feel young or they are just a ton of fun. Once again, I was impressed at just how amazing these kids are. I realize they were on their best behavior, but they were all helpful and happy. Everyone pitched in to get things done and I think we all had a good time.

1 comment:

Holly said...

One of my co-workers is off doing the trek this week and my Stake is going next month, so I look forward to lots of Trek stories!