Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Frosting

It's birthday season in my house. All three of my children have their birthdays within a month of each other. With all the excitement and fun comes BIRTHDAY CAKE! Yum!

Over the years I have realized the purpose of cake. The purpose of cake is so you can eat frosting. It is merely a vehicle. It isn't that cake doesn't matter, because frankly frosting looks better on a cake, but the cake is secondary to the true treat.

This attitude works its way into all aspects of cake eating. When selecting a piece, go for the corner (if there is one). When eating cake, you need to carve out all the cake parts first in order to save the frosting husk to be savored last. Without any cake in the way, you can slowly eat slices of frosting goodness.

Cupcakes are a bit different. Eating the cake first just isn't very practical. So, my technique has evolved into something different. With cupcakes, you get all the frosting goodness up front by biting the top off. With practice, you can get it in one bite. However, after that you have a dilemma. What do you do with the cake? It has already fulfilled its mission of delivering frosting, so it is not really needed. I have known people who throw it out, but I will eat the cake part because it seems more proper.

I'm not sure I should be this revealing here...

No comments: